Lushington Entertainments is proud to present GREEN DAY – the Grammy Award-winning American rock trio starring Billie Joe Armstrong (vocals, guitar), Mike Dirnt (bass guitar, vocals) and the Tre Cool (drums, percussion).
This will be GREEN DAY's first ever shows in South East Asia with performances on 16th January 2010 at the Hong Kong's Asia World Arena for 12,500 fans.
Formed in 1987 and now in the top tier of rock establishment, they have chalked up a remarkable 65 million worldwide album sales.
When they were 17, they first recorded as Green Day, signing with the punk label ‘Lookout’ and releasing the 1989 EP 1,000 Hours with drummer John Kiffmeyer. The next year, the group recorded its first full-length album, 39/Smooth, in a day. Two more EPs followed, with Kiffmeyer leaving to focus on his studies and Tre Cool, with whom Armstrong had played in a band called the Lookouts, taking over on drums for 1992's Kerplunk. With a solid fan base built on the nurturing, all-ages hardcore scene in Berkeley, the group signed with ‘Reprise’ in April 1993
Their major album, Dookie (1994) became a breakout success and eventually sold over 15 million worldwide. As a result, Green Day was widely credited alongside with fellow Californian punk bands The Offspring and Rancid for reviving mainstream interest in and popularizing punk rock in the United States.
Green Day quickly followed Dookie with Insomniac in the fall of 1995 and they hit number one again on the modern rock charts with "J.A.R.," their contribution to the Angus soundtrack. Insomniac performed well initially, entering the U.S. charts at number two and selling over two million copies by the spring of 1996, including the radio favorite "Brain Stew/Jaded", Green Day issued Nimrod in late 1997.
Green Day's albums, Insomniac and Nimrod reached double platinium while Warning had gold status. In 2004, Green Day's “rock opera” American Idiot reignited the band's popularity and debuted at number 1 on the Billboard charts. In 2005, the band was nominated for 9 Billboard Music Awards and won 6 of them, including "Rock Artist of the Year" and "Rock Song of the Year."
In 2006, Green Day won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" which spent 16 weeks at the number one position of Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks, a record it shared along with Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Scar Tissue" and Staind's "It's Been Awhile".
21st Century Breakdown: 2007–present
Green Day engaged in several other smaller projects in the time following the hype of American Idiot. Green Day released a new album under the band name Foxboro Hot Tubs entitled Stop Drop and Roll!!!
In an interview Armstrong revealed that 2008 would "be a fair estimate of the release date of their new untitled eighth studio album for Green Day." In an interview with Carson Daly, Garbage lead singer Shirley Manson revealed that Butch Vig would be producing Green Day's forthcoming album. The span of nearly five years between American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown was the longest gap between studio albums in Green Day's career. The band had been working on new material since January 2006. By October 2007, Armstrong had 45 songs written. The writing and recording process, spanning three years and four recording studios, was finally finished in April 2009.
The new album is titled 21st Century Breakdown and was released worldwide on May 15, 2009. It has received rave reviews from the likes of Nirvana's Krist Novoselic. The album had positive reception from critics. After the release, the album hit #1 in fourteen different countries, hitting Gold or Platinum in each. 21st Century Breakdown achieved Green Day's best chart performance to date. The band started playing shows in California in April and early May. It was their first live show in about 3 years and now undertaking an extensive world tour including these South East Asian dates.
Musical style and influences
Green Day's sound is often compared to first wave punk bands such as the Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Jam, and the Buzzcocks. The majority of their song catalog is composed of overdriven guitar, fast, manic drums, and relatively high-treble bass. Most of their songs are fast-paced and under four minutes. Billie Joe Armstrong has mentioned that some of his biggest influences are seminal alternative rock bands Hüsker Dü and The Replacements, and that their influence is particularly noted in the band's chord changes in songs. In fact, Green Day has covered Hüsker Dü's "Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely" as a b-side for the "Warning" single, and the character "Mr. Whirly" in their song "Misery" is a reference to the Replacements song of the same name. Among other influences, Green Day have also cited Queen, proto-punks The Who, and power pop pioneers Cheap Trick. Armstrong's lyrics commonly describe alienation, ("Jesus of Suburbia", "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", "Road to Acceptance", "Disappearing Boy", "Castaway") hysteria ("Basket Case", "Panic Song", "American Eulogy"), girls ("She", "80" "Only of You","Maria" "She's a Rebel"), growing up ("Longview" and "Welcome to Paradise"), and the effects of doing drugs ("Geek Stink Breath", "Green Day", "Give Me Novacaine"). The Ramones had similar lyrical themes such as hysteria ("Anxiety", "Psycho Therapy"), alienation ("Outsider", "Something To Believe In"), girls ("I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend", "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker"), and drugs ("Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue", "Chinese Rocks"). Green Day has covered Ramones songs several times, including recording "Outsider" for the tribute album We're a Happy Family, and performing "Blitzkrieg Bop" and "Teenage Lobotomy" when the Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
Green Day have won three Grammy Awards - Best Alternative Album for Dookie, Best Rock Album for American Idiot, and Record of the Year for Boulevard of Broken Dreams.
Hong Kong tickets will be available from all HK Ticketing and Tom Lee outlets at HK$650 (standing), HK$350, HK$550 and HK$750 seated.
Hong Kong’s public sales will start on 15 October 2009 (Thursday).
Green Day is represented by Warner Music.
Green Day – Live In Hong Kong!
Date : 16th January 2010 (Saturday)
Venue : AsiaWorld-Arena
Time : 8.00pm
Tickets : HK$650 (standing),
HK$350, HK$550 and HK$750
ALL HK TICKETING and TOM LEE OUTLETS
Public Sales Date : 15 October 2009
Bookings Hotline : (+852) 31 288 288
Web bookings : www.hkticketing.com
Corporate Bookings : (+852) 2629 6240
(information provided by the organiser)
- 02.08.2015 | 12.00 Studio Fitness HK presents Beach Bums
- 05.08.2015 I Love Wednesday: O.T. Genasis
- 05.08.2015 | 20.00 FuFu presents: HULA'LA 07 w/ CRACKAZAT Live (LOCAL TALK / UK)
- 06.08.2015 | 22.00 PLAY Presents: The Ultimate Glow Paint Party (Vol.4)
- 07.08.2015 | 21.00 Tropical Haven Party at Vibes
- 07.08.2015 | 22.00 Heineken Green Room HK
- 07.08.2015 | 22.00 VOLAR Presents DISCO STEP CHILD
- 07.08.2015 | 22.00 RED X CHANDON presents Sail Into Summer Party
- 08.08.2015 - 09.08.2015 | 13.00 Lan Kwai Fong Beer & Music Fest 2015: “Wild West” Themed Party
- 08.08.2015 | 16.00 OUTLOOK FESTIVAL 2015 HONG KONG LAUNCH PARTY
- 08.08.2015 | 16.00 WAVES - The New Beach Party Series hosted by REWIND
- 08.08.2015 | 16.00 The Walrus Grand Opening Street Party
- 08.08.2015 - 15.08.2015 | 17.00 LET'S GET DISCO! @ Lai Yuen Super Summer 2015!
- 08.08.2015 | 20.00 Hanjin Breaking Bad Live in Hong Kong
- 08.08.2015 | 21.00 BEATSHIP x DJ Revolution - MADEON
- NEON IN THE MIST @ ZENTRAL
- HKC Review: BRICK LANE Dessert x Cocktail Pairing Menu
- Dirty South Live from Avalon (July 4 2015 Extended Set)
- BEATSHIP x DJ Revolution - MADEON
- EventNetwork.hk No.8
- W HONG KONG PRESENTS LAST 2 SHOCK WAVE POOL PARTIES ON AUGUST 1 & 22
- Zentral presents NBA official DJ 4Korners
- Bass Agents at Bungalow
- [HKC GIVEAWAY] Songs of Children presents HAPPY MONDAYS
- Interview with Gregor Tresher
- La StationCategory: Cafes and BakeriesCreated: 29 Jul 2015
- Crispy BistroCategory: Cafes and BakeriesCreated: 29 Jul 2015
- The WalrusCategory: BarsCreated: 29 Jul 2015
- Burger JoysCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 22 Jul 2015
- El Loco GringoCategory: BarsCreated: 21 Jul 2015
- AlohaCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 21 Jul 2015
- Sole MioCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 17 Jul 2015
- Mr & Mrs FoxCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 17 Jul 2015
- TRiCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 14 Jul 2015
- Cali-Mex (Quarry Bay)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Cali-Mex (Wan Chai...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Cali-Mex (Central)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- RA Restaurant & LoungeCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Haven Wine & Shisha BarCategory: BarsCreated: 9 Jul 2015
- Maru Korean Restaurant...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Cali-Mex (Lan Kwai Fong)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Sumac Restaurant &...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Merhaba Turkish...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Be on CantonCategory: BarsCreated: 9 Jul 2015
- Al Pasha Silk Road...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Alhambra Shisha & Cigar...Category: BarsCreated: 9 Jul 2015
- Boba BearCategory: BarsCreated: 9 Jul 2015
- Cali-Mex (Sai Ying Pun)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Cali-Mex (Causeway Bay)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015
- Cali-Mex (Wan Chai...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Jul 2015