At first, it was hard to imagine what this event would be like. Would it standout amongst Hong Kong’s many attempts at a rave-like party? Would it be in the shadow of the former HITEC music events? Would Hong Kong appreciate hard trance, techno and driving progressive beats?
Turning off the highway onto a narrow road the taxi driver slowed down to avoid human obstacles that were meandering towards a blur of light far in the distance. The road widened to a car park where crowds were queuing. The walk from the ticket-check area to the event was pretty long. As we walked music changed from a dampened bass to a clear, crisp sound. When it came in sight, it was impressive! A large (in-ya-face) rig, lighting, lasers, a sea of people, incredible! Finally, Hong Kong had got it right!
Arun R (one of Hong Kong’s rising talents) kicked things off with progressive trance, his deep melodic beats enthused the crowd. The music changed to pumping dirty electro (awesome); however, some might say wrong place, wrong time. On occasions the sound was clipping, slightly too loud and the lighting was blinding. The setup was definitely stadium size but the area it dominated was too small.
The crowd a mixture of Chinese and Western, old and young (very young it seemed) were bopping and jumping. Yoga instructors were bending and twisting to the tunes. And adding to the rave-like atmosphere many had dressed reminiscent to the cyber-kids of Gatecrasher. It was pretty cool and wet. The fine drizzle of rain didn’t let up.
Tiesto came on and true to his form, the energy spiked and the place was electrified. He shook the foundations of the rig with his hard driving tech edged tunes. As expected the crowd reacted when he dropped his famous tracks. He took the crowd on a journey of ups and downs, and they stayed loyal till the end.
It summary, this was/ IS exactly what Hong Kong needs. Location will always be a problem as well as other hindrances that prevent a return to the good ol’ days but this was a move in the right direction and it was welcome by clubbers. More please!
Review by Jay
- 08.10.2015 HandsOn Hong Kong's Annual "Drink For Good" Community Event
- 08.10.2015 | 20.30 Metal Agenda Presents：Death Certificate
- 08.10.2015 | 20.30 Songs for Children presents The Garden live in Hong Kong with special guests The Yours
- 08.10.2015 | 22.00 Deville Land in Zentral to drop the beat
- 09.10.2015 - 10.10.2015 Beertopia 2015
- 09.10.2015 | 22.00 VOLAR X LOVE&BEATS Present JUNIOR.C
- 10.10.2015 | 19.00 The Pink Gatsby Party by ZUMA
- 10.10.2015 | 21.30 Woobar x Afro-Yo presents Banda Orbita & DJ Fudge
- 10.10.2015 | 22.00 FLY Presents SOSUPERSAM
- 10.10.2015 | 22.00 OZONE Presents Hed Kandi
- 10.10.2015 | 22.00 Avant G'Art 6th Edition: Sultry Pulchritude
- 10.10.2015 | 23.00 Submarine
- 10.10.2015 | 23.30 Club CUBIC presents KimKat
- 11.10.2015 | 15.00 Love & Beats Presents Wakanda: Jungle Day Party
- 13.10.2015 Songs For Children proudly present JAAKKO EINO KALEVI live in Hong Kong
- Coming Thursday night Zentral brings you DJ Deville, Mark your Calendar!
- Delayers - Make Them Bounce
- See what Zentral Brings you for this weekend. Vicetone and Zentral Happy Hour on 5/F floor
- CLOCKENFLAP ANNOUNCES SECOND ROUND MUSIC LINEUP & ART PROGRAMME
- Chainsmokers is bouncing in Magnum for their #Selfie on 30th September
- Club Cubic presents Tiësto
- WIN: Tickets to Beertopia 2015
- Don't Let Daddy Know Official After Party with Mija at LEVELS
- OZONE presents Hed Kandi on 10th October 2015
- Get Free Return Flights to Singapore with IT'S THE SHIP
- Koh Thai (Wan Chai)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 7 Oct 2015
- Soi 7Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 6 Oct 2015
- Koh Thai (Mid-Levels)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 6 Oct 2015
- PONGCategory: BarsCreated: 6 Oct 2015
- Koh Thai (Junks)Category: ServicesCreated: 6 Oct 2015
- Steak Frites by The...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 2 Oct 2015
- The Butchers Club...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 2 Oct 2015
- The Butchers Club DeliCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 2 Oct 2015
- PresentCategory: BarsCreated: 30 Sep 2015
- Club PrimoCategory: NightclubsCreated: 27 Sep 2015
- Craftissimo (Tsim Sha...Category: ShopsCreated: 25 Sep 2015
- Craftissimo (Sheung Wan)Category: ShopsCreated: 24 Sep 2015
- A la maison XXL Seafood...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 24 Sep 2015
- MyHouseCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 24 Sep 2015
- Lobsters and Mussels by...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 23 Sep 2015
- El Loco-GringoCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 22 Sep 2015
- Twenty Six by LibertyCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 22 Sep 2015
- VCNCYCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 22 Sep 2015
- Bread & BeastCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 22 Sep 2015
- Ping Pong 129Category: BarsCreated: 20 Sep 2015
- Issaya Siamese Club...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 19 Sep 2015
- Seasons by Olivier E.Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 18 Sep 2015
- Republic Bar & LoungeCategory: BarsCreated: 17 Sep 2015
- MAMA Burger & LobsterCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 16 Sep 2015
- Porterhouse by LarisCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 16 Sep 2015