At first, it was hard to imagine what this event would be like. Would it standout amongst Hong Kong’s many attempts at a rave-like party? Would it be in the shadow of the former HITEC music events? Would Hong Kong appreciate hard trance, techno and driving progressive beats?
Turning off the highway onto a narrow road the taxi driver slowed down to avoid human obstacles that were meandering towards a blur of light far in the distance. The road widened to a car park where crowds were queuing. The walk from the ticket-check area to the event was pretty long. As we walked music changed from a dampened bass to a clear, crisp sound. When it came in sight, it was impressive! A large (in-ya-face) rig, lighting, lasers, a sea of people, incredible! Finally, Hong Kong had got it right!
Arun R (one of Hong Kong’s rising talents) kicked things off with progressive trance, his deep melodic beats enthused the crowd. The music changed to pumping dirty electro (awesome); however, some might say wrong place, wrong time. On occasions the sound was clipping, slightly too loud and the lighting was blinding. The setup was definitely stadium size but the area it dominated was too small.
The crowd a mixture of Chinese and Western, old and young (very young it seemed) were bopping and jumping. Yoga instructors were bending and twisting to the tunes. And adding to the rave-like atmosphere many had dressed reminiscent to the cyber-kids of Gatecrasher. It was pretty cool and wet. The fine drizzle of rain didn’t let up.
Tiesto came on and true to his form, the energy spiked and the place was electrified. He shook the foundations of the rig with his hard driving tech edged tunes. As expected the crowd reacted when he dropped his famous tracks. He took the crowd on a journey of ups and downs, and they stayed loyal till the end.
It summary, this was/ IS exactly what Hong Kong needs. Location will always be a problem as well as other hindrances that prevent a return to the good ol’ days but this was a move in the right direction and it was welcome by clubbers. More please!
Review by Jay
|< Prev||Next >|
- Fri 13 Dec Danny Avila at Dragon-I
- Fri 13 Dec | 20.30 Hennessy Artistry 2013
- Fri 13 Dec | 22.00 Ho Ho Ho Party
- Fri 13 Dec | 22.00 Fresh Off the Boat x Midnight & Co. presents Justin Martin (Dirtybird)
- Fri 13 Dec | 22.30 makeSHIFT Wraps up 2013
- Fri 13 Dec | 23.00 Peroni presents "Reflex" Supported by DJ Visa
- Sat 14 Dec - Sun 15 Dec | 12.00 Freespace Fest
- Sat 14 Dec | 19.30 Symphony For The Senses at Armani / Aqua
- Sat 14 Dec | 21.00 Xlarge Live present “Da Joint of Dragon Tiger Leopard”
- Sat 14 Dec | 22.00 Play Presents: Blossom
- Sat 14 Dec | 23.00 Gangsters & Flappers at Armani/Prive
- Sat 14 Dec | 23.00 Club Cubic Presents Full On
- Sat 14 Dec | 23.00 Volar Presents Miss Kittin
- Mon 16 Dec | 20.15 Laura Fygi Concert Tour 2013 - Hong Kong
- Wed 18 Dec | 23.00 MAG House Party X DJ Tai Pan Dan (December)
- Thu 19 Dec | 20.30 Head Phones President Live in Hong Kong
- Thu 19 Dec | 23.00 Magnum Club Presents Ministry of Sound with DJ Bruce Wayne
- Fri 20 Dec | 22.00 Play & DJ Gie Presents ElektriCity Carnival
- Fri 20 Dec | 22.00 Privé presents WeRwolvz
- Fri 20 Dec | 22.00 Girls Gone Jolly Wild Fridays: Sexy Xmas Babies
Activity on Facebook
Fans on Facebook
|1. Magnum Club|
|2. Beijing Club|
|3. Billion Club|
|5. Club CUBIC (Macau)|
|9. Hush Bar & Lounge...|
|11. Kee Club|
|14. Club FLY|
|15. Star Hall - KITEC|
Category: Arenas, Halls and Outdoor
|16. Tazmania Ballroom -...|
|17. WET Pool - W Hong Kong...|
Category: Arenas, Halls and Outdoor
|18. Bisous Nightclub|
|19. OZONE Rooftop Bar - The...|
|20. Tonno Club|