At first, it was hard to imagine what this event would be like. Would it standout amongst Hong Kong’s many attempts at a rave-like party? Would it be in the shadow of the former HITEC music events? Would Hong Kong appreciate hard trance, techno and driving progressive beats?
Turning off the highway onto a narrow road the taxi driver slowed down to avoid human obstacles that were meandering towards a blur of light far in the distance. The road widened to a car park where crowds were queuing. The walk from the ticket-check area to the event was pretty long. As we walked music changed from a dampened bass to a clear, crisp sound. When it came in sight, it was impressive! A large (in-ya-face) rig, lighting, lasers, a sea of people, incredible! Finally, Hong Kong had got it right!
Arun R (one of Hong Kong’s rising talents) kicked things off with progressive trance, his deep melodic beats enthused the crowd. The music changed to pumping dirty electro (awesome); however, some might say wrong place, wrong time. On occasions the sound was clipping, slightly too loud and the lighting was blinding. The setup was definitely stadium size but the area it dominated was too small.
The crowd a mixture of Chinese and Western, old and young (very young it seemed) were bopping and jumping. Yoga instructors were bending and twisting to the tunes. And adding to the rave-like atmosphere many had dressed reminiscent to the cyber-kids of Gatecrasher. It was pretty cool and wet. The fine drizzle of rain didn’t let up.
Tiesto came on and true to his form, the energy spiked and the place was electrified. He shook the foundations of the rig with his hard driving tech edged tunes. As expected the crowd reacted when he dropped his famous tracks. He took the crowd on a journey of ups and downs, and they stayed loyal till the end.
It summary, this was/ IS exactly what Hong Kong needs. Location will always be a problem as well as other hindrances that prevent a return to the good ol’ days but this was a move in the right direction and it was welcome by clubbers. More please!
Review by Jay
- 02.04.2015 Zentral presents BeatBreaker Hosted by Fo Onassis from New York
- 02.04.2015 | 20.00 Fatty Crab Punk Night
- 02.04.2015 | 22.00 DEJA VU and MusicFestAsia presents: Superstar - Taboo of the BLACK EYED PEAS live! in HK
- 02.04.2015 | 22.00 TFIT Presents: ULTIMATE GLOW PAINT PARTY
- 02.04.2015 | 22.00 Boujis Bazaar Presents: Back2Back Hip Hop
- 02.04.2015 | 22.00 Rhythm Thursdays at Drop
- 02.04.2015 | 23.00 DJ KimKat at Bungalow
- 03.04.2015 Zentral Presents Rocky’s (Captain Zentral) Birthday Party
- 03.04.2015 | 23.30 Club CUBIC presents Arno Cost
- 04.04.2015 | 20.00 J-Hoon & friends "Modern Li Bai" Launching Party
- 04.04.2015 | 20.30 Being as an Ocean Asia Tour - Live in Hong Kong
- 04.04.2015 | 22.00 Magnum Presents Rocky’s (Captain Zentral) Birthday Party
- 04.04.2015 | 22.00 VOLAR Presents The OFFICIAL AFTER PARTY FOR RED BULL X-FIGHTERS JAMS
- 04.04.2015 | 22.30 Bass Music China 3 Year ft. OM UNIT
- 05.04.2015 | 12.00 The Pawn Rooftop Cookout
- Front Line Security presents EventNetwork.hk No.7
- JETFIRE at Magnum Club - Thursday 9th April
- Katy Perry THE PRISMATIC WORLD TOUR Macao
- Introducing Tidal - the new music streaming service on the scene
- 3rd &4th April Magnum Entertainment Group Presents Rocky’s (Captain Zentral) Birthday Party
- 正- Zheng All-Star Launch Party
- [SPECIAL GIVEAWAY] Club Cubic's 4th Anniversary ft. 2CHAINZ
- Club Cubic presents Arno Cost
- Check out the Mixfader: the world's first connected DJ crossfader
- J-Cue Tour, 4 Days in LKF
- EditionCategory: BarsCreated: 27 Mar 2015
- HMVidealCategory: ShopsCreated: 23 Mar 2015
- Vida LocaCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 18 Mar 2015
- HotshotCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 12 Mar 2015
- The Hong Kong...Category: Arenas, Halls and OutdoorCreated: 12 Mar 2015
- Eggenberg Island Café &...Category: BarsCreated: 11 Mar 2015
- Furstenberg Tai HangCategory: BarsCreated: 11 Mar 2015
- MITTECategory: BarsCreated: 9 Mar 2015
- Seafood StandCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 Mar 2015
- PololiCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 8 Mar 2015