At first, it was hard to imagine what this event would be like. Would it standout amongst Hong Kong’s many attempts at a rave-like party? Would it be in the shadow of the former HITEC music events? Would Hong Kong appreciate hard trance, techno and driving progressive beats?
Turning off the highway onto a narrow road the taxi driver slowed down to avoid human obstacles that were meandering towards a blur of light far in the distance. The road widened to a car park where crowds were queuing. The walk from the ticket-check area to the event was pretty long. As we walked music changed from a dampened bass to a clear, crisp sound. When it came in sight, it was impressive! A large (in-ya-face) rig, lighting, lasers, a sea of people, incredible! Finally, Hong Kong had got it right!
Arun R (one of Hong Kong’s rising talents) kicked things off with progressive trance, his deep melodic beats enthused the crowd. The music changed to pumping dirty electro (awesome); however, some might say wrong place, wrong time. On occasions the sound was clipping, slightly too loud and the lighting was blinding. The setup was definitely stadium size but the area it dominated was too small.
The crowd a mixture of Chinese and Western, old and young (very young it seemed) were bopping and jumping. Yoga instructors were bending and twisting to the tunes. And adding to the rave-like atmosphere many had dressed reminiscent to the cyber-kids of Gatecrasher. It was pretty cool and wet. The fine drizzle of rain didn’t let up.
Tiesto came on and true to his form, the energy spiked and the place was electrified. He shook the foundations of the rig with his hard driving tech edged tunes. As expected the crowd reacted when he dropped his famous tracks. He took the crowd on a journey of ups and downs, and they stayed loyal till the end.
It summary, this was/ IS exactly what Hong Kong needs. Location will always be a problem as well as other hindrances that prevent a return to the good ol’ days but this was a move in the right direction and it was welcome by clubbers. More please!
Review by Jay
- 29.05.2015 | 19.00 UNITY JAM 3 "Independence"
- 29.05.2015 | 20.30 Hidden Agenda X Hong Kong Metal Alliance Metal Agenda Present Bloody Tyrant Live in Hong Kong
- 29.05.2015 | 22.00 VOLAR x PUSH Present DAVE CLARKE
- 29.05.2015 | 22.00 PLAY's Non-Stop Weekend: Jekey, Gie, Manlogik, Zefive. DJ Ros
- 29.05.2015 | 23.00 Kee Club & FOB Present - Roland Clark
- 29.05.2015 | 23.00 TAG and NACHT X SANE STUDIOS present BLÄCK OUT
- 29.05.2015 | 23.00 DJ Revolution Vo..20 REDONDO
- 30.05.2015 | 10.00 BUMP in the Water POOL PARTY
- 30.05.2015 | 12.00 Rosé Revolution Hong Kong
- 30.05.2015 - 31.05.2015 | 13.00 HONI HONI Rum Fest 2015
- 30.05.2015 | 16.00 agnès b. RUE DE MARSEILLE LIVE
- 30.05.2015 | 20.00 Lilly Singh – A Trip to Unicorn Island
- 30.05.2015 | 21.00 White Party Hong Kong 10th Anniversary
- 30.05.2015 | 21.00 GUEST DJ AT VIBES: BEN LA DESH (SLEAZY BEATS BLACK OPS / DIRT CREW)
- 30.05.2015 | 22.00 VALERIE 8th Year Anniversary Party
- Desperados presents Full Moon Party
- 28th Magnum presents StadiumX
- The Long Weekend Checklist - Hed Kandi, Freeflow Whisky & more!
- Welcome to Summer Paradise
- Join Us! Airplay blow dry bar invites you to ‘Summer Styling’ at Solas
- THE ROAD TO SHIPSOMNIA - THE SEARCH BEGINS
- This week – Justice week!
- Interview with Dannic
- The hottest membership in Magnum Entertainment Group
- Interview with Swanky Tunes
- The Grill RoomCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 29 May 2015
- JW CaféCategory: Cafes and BakeriesCreated: 20 May 2015
- Paradise DynastyCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 20 May 2015
- Scarlett Hong KongCategory: BarsCreated: 14 May 2015
- TownhouseCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 10 May 2015
- FRITES (Central)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 May 2015
- FRITES (Quarry Bay)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 9 May 2015
- BocaditoCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 6 May 2015
- Tycoon TannCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 6 May 2015
- Silvermine Beach ResortCategory: Hotels (Hong Kong)Created: 5 May 2015
- Macpherson StadiumCategory: Arenas, Halls and OutdoorCreated: 5 May 2015
- Cafe ZenseCategory: Cafes and BakeriesCreated: 5 May 2015
- Bread Street Kitchen &...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 4 May 2015
- Le Bistro WinebeastCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 27 Apr 2015
- The Champagne BarCategory: BarsCreated: 26 Apr 2015
- Tapas BrewCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 24 Apr 2015
- La PalomaCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 23 Apr 2015
- On Dining Kitchen &...Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 23 Apr 2015
- DjiboutiiCategory: BarsCreated: 22 Apr 2015
- NOM (Not Only Meatballs)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 22 Apr 2015
- AmericanosCategory: Cafes and BakeriesCreated: 21 Apr 2015
- The TavernCategory: BarsCreated: 21 Apr 2015
- Whisky@StablesCategory: BarsCreated: 18 Apr 2015
- Chaky's Public HouseCategory: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 16 Apr 2015
- Burgerman (Tai Kok Tsui)Category: Restaurants (Hong Kong)Created: 14 Apr 2015